Keep the New Year on the right path by making your home a clean and organized living space. Decluttering provides space for focus and releases emotional stress. Here are reasons why it is important to declutter and where to start.
Removing the unnecessary items from your home will reduce the mess and give you a clear mind.
- How many times have you looked for your misplaced wallet? Having a clean home and a place for everything will help eliminate missing items. You’ll know exactly where your keys are next time you’re late for work.
- Organization will promote productivity and creativity for daily tasks. Your mental focus will increase because of the clean area to work and relax. There won’t be any visual distractions to make your mind wander.
- A messy home can contain dust and dirt. Disorganized surfaces look bad and can have a negative effect on your health. A dirty air filter or a dusty space can aggravate your allergies. Clearing the mess will remove dust particles and toxins from the air. You’ll be healthier and happier with a clutter-free environment.
- Having a clean bedroom will improve your sleep. With a spotless room, you won’t be staring at a pile of laundry that needs to be put away or your shoes scattered on the floor while you’re trying to get some rest. Make this clean fix and your to-do list won’t be worrying you at night.
- The less mess means the less stress you’ll have. Cluttered spaces can overwhelm you if they are left for too long. Eliminate your anxiety by going through the mail stack or overstuffed bedroom closet.
Where to Start?
Every room could use a cleaning, but keep it simple by taking on one room at a time.
- Kitchen: Clean out the cabinets and drawers to make it easier to find the items you’ll need when cooking. The refrigerator and freezer should also be decluttered. Make sure there aren’t any old food items, then rearrange the space so every item is visible when looking in to assure you’re not spending time searching for items.
- Living Room: Unnecessary items tend to pile up and collect in the living room. Declutter this space by cleaning drawers, bookcases, and tables. The shelves can also get a makeover by removing all the unwanted books, movies, and magazines.
- Bathroom: Your focus should be on the countertop and cabinets. Clearing off the hair dryer, cleaning products, and toiletries from the counter gives you an empty space and more room. Also, the medicine cabinet should constantly be cleaned out to remove expired medications. Adding a shelf under the sink or on the wall will give extra storage for needed supplies.
- Bedroom: Think about all the clothes in your closet. Clean out the outfits you haven’t worn in a year and donate them to charity. You’ll have an organized closet and feel good about giving back.
Don’t let the mess keep piling up in your home. Start decluttering each room today. A clean and organized home will clear your mind and result in less stress, which will benefit you in the long run.